System Test and micro nutrients

Going on our 4th year of aquaponics. After running all year, with minimal freezing, it was time to test the levels. Temp was cool in the mid to upper 60′s. Most aquaponic systems once established require very little maintenance.  This is our very first reading of 2013. This shows a 7.4 average reading for PH, 0-.10 for Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and high Nitrate of close to 80ppm. Why are the other two not showing, but yet plenty of Nitrates?... Read More

New Controller and Dashboard

As stated in a prior post a new controller has been developed, this one based on Raspberry PI. I have been asked, why not bridge the two (Arduino and raspberry pi).  The simple answer, is eventually. With raspberry PI, there is a Linux operating system.  On Arduino, I have to code everything.  Each have their own benefits and disadvantages.  I’ll have to figure out how to talk to Raspberry pi over the network and then serial to the... Read More

New Controller 2.0 coming on line.

It’s been a few months since our last post. It’s now middle of winter, and my prior arduino controller stopped working. So I decided to switch to Raspberry PI, where my IT background would be much better suited for. Here is screen shot of our main TV with the dashboard displaying  Read More

Raft System Completed

It’s official, the raft system is in. Just as the days are starting to get shorter by four minutes every day. Plumbing is hooked up and tested a few times.  Going to let it sit for a few days and cycle manually as to not shock the system and let the water dechlorinate. So far so good on the snug fit PVC.  Nothing is glued yet. Why? May replace all fittings for HDPE plumbing. In hind sight, should have lined bottom  and the PVC tube across... Read More

New temp sensor

This new sensor was built on this past Sunday. It was way to hot to work in the greenhouse. The temp reading was around 5pm. This is using the Dallas DS18D20, and a 4 character 7 segment display. I’ll be able to add additional temp sensors on the same pin. The next step is to make this work via xbee, which will later be replaced by wiFly (wifi radio that fits in xbee Breakout. Tuesday.. in the greenhouse we got up to 106.6. Logs/charts will... Read More

Fish tank #1 installed

The first IBC tank is in. Has a standard 4 outlet air pump from pet supply store.  And 4 air stones from aquatic supply. Fish may be added as soon as memorial day weekend.  Read More

Arduino automation time

Now that the greenhouse is mostly built… its time to watch and control. We are doing this via Arduino microcontrollers.  We have a prototype built last year.. and video is below. So.. time for phase II  Read More

And then, a day of painting

It was a busy last weekend buliding the ends, and painting. But they are done, and have a door way too. Few other images from before the ends were done.  You can see its open, and there are some feverfew, and horehound drying. But then forgot to cover them and it rained, so we had to recycle them. Did I  mentioned how super happy I am painting is done… ugg Enjoy. #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float:... Read More

Friday progress & Neem Oil

Got our Neem Oil intoday, looking forward to getting ride of some pesky pests. Also took a picture of the current progress of the greenhouse.. this is end of the day Friday. Showing the start of yet another weekend work sprint.  Notice that the top bar is in, but only at a few places, and needs some work. Hope to have plastic, and possible ends on by Sunday. Yet another trip to the hardware store, oh, and to replace busted 1/4 drill bit that is used... Read More

Latest photo

Latest photo… taken with WordPress app.  Doing some testing for faster updates. Next up bending more spars.  Read More